[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:57:18 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry Bert, but the world is not going to migrate to
> a single TV aspect ratio...again.

Sorry, Craig. I think we'll see a migration to 16:9
displays for TVs, and possibly a coexistance of 4:3
and 16:9 monitors for PCs. I'll agree that PDAs and
cell phone type appliances will likely have other
ratios.

For TV or movie content, you'll see distortion,
letterboxing, or pillarboxing to accommodate mismatch.
But over time, as DTV shows are transmitted 16:9,
these ugly compromises will occur less often.

Folks shopping for new displays will opt for wide
screen once they get a clue that most of their
DVD movies should be seen wide screen, and most of
their TV viewing will have become wide screen too,
and the prices of wide screen sets will drop in
comparison to square sets, with non-CRT displays.

> > Naturally, just like always, a TV transmission
> > does not need to fill ther entire screen in
> > *principle*. That goes without saying, and has been
> > true for as long as I've watched TV.
>
> The principle you are basing your point on is
> ludicrous. Yes, you could send an NTSC raster with
> images in a "window." But EVERYTHING had to fit in
> the same containe up to the limits of that container.

In practice, with TV or movie content, that's how it
will continue to appear to the viewer. No matter how
it's done, the content will be made to fit the
increasingly 16:9 container the viewer is watching
on. It makes no difference how it's done inside,
Craig. Viewers will continue to shun any big
mismatch, because neither distortion nor fat black
bars are anything a viewer cares to put up with.