[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:41:20 -0400

>I'm baffled why you think it's "more clever" to
>design a DTV system that will perpetuate image
>distortions for all time.

Huh.
The DTV system is not perpetuating distortions; it is simply
delivering you a programs that may not match the aspect ratio of your
screen. What i detailed is simply ONE of several modes that can be
used to accommodate the content to a wider screen. Another option is
to view the 4:3 program with pillar boxes, WITHOUT distortion.

Sorry Bert, but the world is not going to migrate to a single TV
aspect ratio...again.

>Of course, *anyone* who has ever used a wide screen
>TV knows all too well about distorted images. The
>only way to rationalize having to put up with that
>is the knowledge that soon, the 16:9 ratio will be
>the norm rather than the exception. And that is
>what the TV show producers have done, whether or
>not the FCC buckled under back in the mid 1990s.
>DTT transmissions, be they SD or HD, are now 16:9.

Your missing it again Bert. 16:9 is simply an option, it is not the
norm. The majority of DVD movies are NOT presented in 16:9 - they are
presented in their original aspect ratio.

>>  We are never going back to only one aspect
>>  ratio.
>
>Wanna bet?

Sure. But there is no way you can win this bet in our lifetimes since
therre are massive archive in place at MANY aspect ratios.

>Naturally, just like always, a TV transmission
>does not need to fill ther entire screen in
>*principle*. That goes without saying, and has been
>true for as long as I've watched TV. But if you
>want to avoid distortions *and* if producers want
>to avoid having viewers crop their carefully
>crafted frames at will to fill their odd-sized
>screens, the simple answer is to use a standard
>display aspect ratio.

The principle you are basing your point on is ludicrous. Yes, you
could send an NTSC raster with images in a "window." But EVERYTHING
had to fit in the same containe up to the limits of that container.
In a digital world the content and the transmission system are
decoupled. The tranmission system knows only one thing...packet data.

The rest was redundant and thus deleted.