[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:11:57 -0400

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  But to imply that an OPEN specification will lead to
>>  a few de facto standards where no standard is needed
>>  is absurd.
>
>Then explain why Alan Roberts mentions 1920 X 1080 and
>1280 X 720, 50/60i or p, as HD formats, and not
>others.

Because that is the way the debate is being framed by those who seek
to control the evolution of DTV. This is to be expected, since the
standards processes are controlled by the special interests who seek
to impose these format restrictions.

An obvious artifact of this reality is that we are even discussing
the need for both 50P and 60P. In the future displays will easily
support both, so why even have two frame rate families for Europe and
the US?

For instruction, look at the motion picture industry, which somehow
seems to manage their business with literally hundreds of format
options.

>By the way, I would think that the way these Grand
>Alliance de-facto hold-over standards would handle
>1440 X 1080 would simply be to draw two black columns
>on the left and right screen edges. At least, that
>would be the correct way.

How could this be correct, when the camera is capturing a 16:9 image
at 1920 x 1080 samples.  1440 samples is what some cameras use for
compression, since there is no useful information in the upper
spectra of the 1920 samples. Likewise, 1440 is used for emission,
again to deal with the reality that you get more information out of
the encoder by reducing the number of samples while improving the
accuracy of the remaining samples.

We fought very hard for square pixels. They are REALLY important on
the display if you are going to base the non-Nyquist rasterizing
capabilities on a single pixel geometry as is the defacto standard
for computers. But we also learned that for Nyquist filtered imagery
the sample geometry is not all that critical. You can stretch or
squeeze, and distort these samples  as much as you want, if you use
proper filtering techniques.

>My PC monitor has a 1.25:1 aspect ratio. How does it
>manage this oddball ratio? Very simple: distortion.
>It won't display a circle unless I draw an ellipse
>(when it's set to anything other than 1280 X 1024).
>
>For a PC, who cares. For a TV or a movie theater?

I care. The reality is that your display is optimized for 1280 x
1024, providing square pixels that fill the available screen real
estate. Yes, you can change scanning rates and introduce distortions;
you can also adjust the vertical size to eliminate these distortions
by allowing small black bands at the top and bottom of the screen.

I don't want distortion in any display, unless I choose to distort
the images for  some aesthetic reason. Clearly the accommodation of
different aspect ratio sources on a fixed aspect ratio display
involves the possibility of such aesthetic compromises. I do not mind
letter or pillar boxing. I'd love to use these throw away areas for
other kinds of information as I do on my computer desktop. But some
people want to stretch 4:3 sources to fill their new 16:9 screens, or
to crop widescreen sources on their 4;3 screens. It is easy to
support both approaches.

By the way, Movie theaters have a low tech solution for the problem.
They can change the masking of the screen to support different aspect
ratios by simply moving the curtains that define the top, bottom and
sides of the screen.