[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:27:41 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Word at the 2005 NAB convention is that E-VSB is dead.

Seems way premature to utter such a sweeping "word."
Aren't both H.264 and VC-1 covered under the E-VSB
umbrella? I'd say we're still in the "time will tell"
mode wrt those codecs, and consequently, wrt E-VSB. Or
are you saying that use of those codecs has also been
declared forever off limits?

> No hardware, no plans to offer hardware, so mobile ATSC
> is not likely.

Less likely, perhaps, but I'd say this is similar to the
fact that no DVB-T stations are transmitting HM at the
moment. What it means is that mobile receivers have to
make do with the main program stream.

If ATSC mobile is to work, it must be with 2/3
convolutional FEC, rather than 1/2 or 1/4 layered over
2/3.