[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:57:13 -0400

> demonstrated, nor is it known if it will ever be possible.  Word at
the 2005
> NAB convention is that E-VSB is dead.  No hardware, no plans to offer
> hardware, so mobile ATSC is not likely.

That seemed pretty evident to me, I'll agree there :-).

> How much to have a DVD player system installed?  You can't drive at night
> without spotting an LCD screen glowing from the headliner of every 10th
> minivan or SUV these days.  The largest cost will be the LCD display.
 How
> much for a DVB-T PCMCIA card for a laptop?

About $120 last time I looked (Technisat).

However, shouldn't that be how much for the DVB-T PCMCIA card, Laptop,
Voltage Transformer, and car mount? Quite a cash outlay there just to
watch TV. Besides the fact that people in SUVs and Mini Vans have the
players in the car for their *kids*.  It is unlikely anyone will put a
laptop in the back of the car for the kids to watch TV on and/or break.

How long till these alternate and/or improved delivery mechanisms come
to market *and* one can pick up an 'install yourself' kit at Wal-Mart,
is the real question.

Saying things are looking good for mobile TV demand because a extended
sales cycle niche component has finally made it into a small segment of
the high-price market, is painting a rosy picture if ever there was one.

Cheers
Kon