[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Perhaps a niche within a niche within a niche, but
> it underscores the potential for a larger market to
> take advantage of a more affordable product.
>
> DVB-T, or DVB-H.
>
> Or even, *cough* ATSC gen X.

Who knows whether mobile TV will be a success. But to
the extent that mobile TV makes sense, the idea of
using DBS to moving vehicles is not bad. It's the
equivalent of Sirius or XM Radio. Continuous TV
coverage throughout the continent. I think of it as
a "repurposing" of DBS.

For a moving vehicle, DBS reception means a smart,
steerable antenna. That same technlology could be used
for better DTT reception in the moving vehicle.

Also, for DTT to moving vehicles to make sense, you need
wide and continuous coverage. Sharp contours around
small "market" areas, leaving holes between markets,
would be detrimental.