[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:54:29 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>But according to Bert, as soon as a hard cutoff date is
>>announced LG will open up this huge vault somewhere in
>>South Korea and flood the U.S. market with millions of
>>STBs priced at under $50.
>>
>>Until a hard cutoff date is announced, however, the
>>vault stays locked and the U.S. gets nothing, not at
>>any price.
>>

>No vault involved, John. You aren't getting the dynamics.
>
>Without a hard cutoff date, LG (and others) don't see any
>market. So they produce nothing new at all. They figure
>there's already an OTA scheme that works fine for
>broadcasters and for most OTA users, and it's called NTSC.

There is no cut off date in the UK and they have sold 6 million receivers.

>With a cutoff date, there will be demand no matter whether
>broadcasters make their DTT offerings more attractive than
>their analog stuff or not. Just keep on keeping on, and a
>date certain will create a huge demand for STBs.
>
>I mean, even if only 15 percent of households each buys a
>single STB to keep using their old sets, that's still
>what? About 22 million STBs? A huge market at the stroke
>of a pen. Much as it was with UHF.
>
>There's absolutely no reason to believe that COFDM would
>change this in any way. Create a US version of COFDM STB,
>and change the exciters in all DTT transmitters, and
>nothing would change.

COFDM would create a radical and immediate change. Business models that
include mobile would pop up everywhere. As it is with 8-VSB even a fixed
receiver business model awaits a decent receiver. Still trying to get
someone interested in making such a receiver.

> People don't care about modulation.

They don't care about modulation the same as they don't care how their
coffee or hamburger is made. They just want the product when they want
it and at the lowest price and highest quality with the least hassle.
Those that would deliver the product see it the same way. With COFDM you
could deliver the product the public wants with the least cost and least
hassle. Everybody would be happy.

It is so completely obviously redundant to say that people don't care
about modulation. People also don't care how their gasoline is cracked,
how their bread is baked and on and on and on.

They do care about the results of good or bad modulation. Everyone in
the food chain does. No one to date is doing anything with 8-VSB.
Despite the mandate no one will do anything until we get something that
works.

> They just want their TV service to continue. And mostly, that has nothing to
> do with OTA anyway. And broadcasters
>are still going to worry more about cable carriage than any neat-o OTA plan,
>because they are convinced that
>people want more choice than OTA can offer anyway.

OTA can be competitive. It just needs a receiver or modulation to make
it possible.

>Oh, I forgot. There might be an impact. Possibly the Schubin apartment
>building would have to follow those
>rigorous MATV installation guidelines to permit residents to receive DTT.
>Indoor reception of COFDM at that site is
>still "unproven" (therefore presumably impossible). Luckily, following those
>guidelines will also permit use
>of 8-VSB first generation receivers.

I have no idea what you are talking about. If it is OZ you might ask
your questions from those that experience OZ every day.
aus.tv.digital
You want to twist things try posting such BS there.

As to Mark Schubin's apartment how would you go about setting up 10 or
so COFDM DTV stations on the ESB at appropriate power levels to test? If
someone didn't do precisely that then you would still say that COFDM had
not been adequately proved better.

You want to twist things try posting such BS there.

Bob Miller