[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:45:34 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
Right now it is all about a decent
 > receiver. A good modulation or a decent 8-VSB receiver would
both work.
 > Both are being delayed. You have to start wondering what is
going on. As
 > soon as I talk to someone who could make such a receiver something
 > happens and the conversation drops. Interest is lost.

It is indeed very strange.  At the risk of the various jokes about
my paranoia I will admit that it is very easy to postulate one or
more entities that really really do not seem to want working ATSC
  receivers on the market.   But even given that I just can not
imagine who would stand to gain that much from it that they
(whoever) would pressure others to not make working receivers.

But it sure does seem that anyone announcing the intention to
build one just sort of disappears, gives up, or at least forgets
what they were going to do.

Is Sinclair still claiming they now believe ATSC works?  Or are
they being quiet too?

- Tom