[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:33:40 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 7:27 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

> John Shutt wrote:
>
>> Word at the 2005 NAB convention is that E-VSB is dead.
>
> Seems way premature to utter such a sweeping "word."
> Aren't both H.264 and VC-1 covered under the E-VSB
> umbrella? I'd say we're still in the "time will tell"
> mode wrt those codecs, and consequently, wrt E-VSB. Or
> are you saying that use of those codecs has also been
> declared forever off limits?

H.264 and VC-1 are not part of E-VSB.  They are being considered by the ATSC
separately.  No manufacturer was showing any E-VSB transmission gear, and no
manufacturer was showing E-VSB reception gear.  In fact I argued to the PBS
engineering committee not to vote to approve E-VSB until H.264/AVC and AAC
were included.  Obviously since PBS voted to approve E-VSB...

>> No hardware, no plans to offer hardware, so mobile ATSC
>> is not likely.
>
> Less likely, perhaps, but I'd say this is similar to the
> fact that no DVB-T stations are transmitting HM at the
> moment. What it means is that mobile receivers have to
> make do with the main program stream.

But DVB-T doesn't need HM COFDM for mobile.  www.viacel.com/bob.wmv proves
that.