[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:12:26 -0500

Actually, if free OTA digital TV worked well most places with simple set top non-directional antennas then I would predict a small comeback once the digital transition is complete. But that would depend upon those TV's all having the advanced (if existent) echo eating tuner/demod/decoders Bert talks about.

My opinion on this is still the same as before, that we will see in a very few months.

One way or another I still expect free (or low cost) non-encrypted advertising supported TV to continue.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 10:45 AM -0500 12/9/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Go back, read the article again, and tell me why the author forgot that
FOTA TV exists.

Bert

No need.

For all intent and purposes, it DOES NOT exist in the mind of MOST Americans.

They have moved on to another world of TV, with greatly expanded choice and vast archives of programming that is accessible via DVD and the Internet.

Will Free TV come back because of the economy?

Perhaps, but the broadcasters show even less competence than Detroit when it comes to giving consumers what they want.

Both now feast at the government trough, where there is no pressure to be competitive. Why take the risks associated with capitalism, when the government will assume those risks, and appoint a Czar to make certain that these companies only provide what the politicians decide that "We The People" need.

Sorry Bert, but there is little risk that Free OTA TV will make a comeback.