[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:59:29 -0800

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> He should have sprung for a house closer to the top of the coastal ridge;
> then he could watch TV stations in Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County,
> Santa Barbara, San Bernadino, Riverside, and "maybe even" Palm Springs.
> And, I'm not talking about any LPTVs.

I had pretty much the same luck with reception in my old house in
Anaheim. But the problem there was the flat roof.

> John Willkie, who was raised in one of the rare southern California homes
> with a fireplace; his father looked far and wide for a tract home with a
> "real" fireplace, and found very few with even "fake" ones.  That was 1959;
> they're less common in new homes now.

Interestingly enough I have two real ones. :-) When I started a
remodel on one last year (the previous owner had decided to paint the
brickwork all white) all the genius companies in the area told me to
'just tear off the brick facade and hearth', despite me asking them
repeatedly if this was a good idea (since some fireplaces use the
front facade and hearth as part of the load bearing structure -
removal can cause the fireplace to pitch and fall and it usually falls
inwards). Good thing I paid them no attention and put a mallet through
the drywall. Turns out that it is in fact solid brick, but cleverly
disguised to look like a stuccoed structure. Very bizarre, and very
socal if I do say so.

Back on topic - I refuse to 'ghetto up' my house with antennas
pointing in multiple directions (by my last calculation I would need a
minimum of 2, perhaps 3, to receive all channels at good signal
quality). I opt instead to ghetto it up with a massive elliptical dish
that seems to grow exponentially in size every time DirecTV ups my
viewing fees for the same channels and demands I upgrade my 'system'
to be order to decode them.

Cheers
Kon