[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:41:47 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Detroit's problems were also caused by government laws
> that allowed various bloated land-barge passenger
> vehicles to be legally classified as light trucks, thus
> bypassing some expensive safety and fuel economy
> standards.

Agree 100 percent. And when Congress went back to the Democrats, in 2004, they
had the opportunity to put their "green" propaganda to work, but (of course)
did nothing.

> But since I assume the auto makers probably paid for
> those legal exception I guess they got what they asked
> for.

That's right. The short-term-think so prevalent in corporations made them
unable to resist cashing in on this deal they had, building the biggest,
bluntest behemoths possible, and they gave away the market for efficient cars
to the Japanese and Koreans. Actually, they never even tried to compete there
very effectively. So now that the fickle public has had this epiphany, surprise
surprise, they are ignoring US brands.

Which is a shame, because some very interesting stuff is in the pipelines. It's
not like they don't know how to design good stuff.

Then again, we all got used to the idea that cameras, TVs, audio systems, even
towel racks for your bathroom, are all made overseas. Why not cars? Maybe we'll
soon think of Chevy like we think of Admiral or Zenith.