[opendtv] Re: News: Ditch Your TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:16:58 -0500

But if we export only intellectual property rights what happens when the rest of the world decides American IP laws are quite slanted and universally decides to change or ignore them.

I know, this seems something of a leap from your conclusion but I worry about it.

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:
Detroit's problems were also caused by government laws
that allowed various bloated land-barge passenger
vehicles to be legally classified as light trucks, thus
bypassing some expensive safety and fuel economy
standards.
Agree 100 percent. And when Congress went back to the Democrats, in 2004, they had the opportunity to put their "green" propaganda to work, but (of course) did nothing.

But since I assume the auto makers probably paid for
those legal exception I guess they got what they asked
for.
That's right. The short-term-think so prevalent in corporations made them unable to resist cashing in on this deal they had, building the biggest, bluntest behemoths possible, and they gave away the market for efficient cars to the Japanese and Koreans. Actually, they never even tried to compete there very effectively. So now that the fickle public has had this epiphany, surprise surprise, they are ignoring US brands. Which is a shame, because some very interesting stuff is in the pipelines. It's not like they don't know how to design good stuff. Then again, we all got used to the idea that cameras, TVs, audio systems, even towel racks for your bathroom, are all made overseas. Why not cars? Maybe we'll soon think of Chevy like we think of Admiral or Zenith. Bert _________________________________________________________________
http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_anywhere_122008 ----------------------------------------------------------------------