[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:09:02 -0400

We provide the HD service because the only DTV viewers we have are equipped
with HDTVs and want some content to watch.  We reduce the bitrate (and
thereby the quality) of the HD service to make room for the FCC mandated SD
simulcast of our Analog channel.

The PBS HD service coincides with the PBS Schedule X feed only occasionally
in prime time when a particular Nova or Frontline is in HD.  The rest of the
time the PBS HD service shows the same shows over and over and over,
negating the need for an HD TiVo.  ;^)

I guess the point is, and the FCC said as much, we won't drop our simulcast
now that we have the capability to do it.  We just wouldn't have purchased
that capability so soon in the transition if it weren't mandated by the FCC
in the first place.

I still fail to see how dropping the simulcast requirement somehow is
supposed to speed the transition to digital.  It may speed innovation, it
may speed the adoption of HD, but I don't see it speeding the obsolescence
of NTSC.

John Shutt