[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:36:58 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > The ONLY use of the DTV spectrum for something new seems to be
 > related to the efforts of USDTV, which is using portions of the
 > Digital channels to deliver unique programming that would not
 > otherwise be available OTA.

Craig -

I subscribe to only limited basic cable service and thus do not pay for
or get Fox News or CNN.  So I am starting to like the ABC News Now
channel that ABC is now testing as a free sub-channel on OTA digital TV.
  Currently it is mostly election coverage but there is no reason it
could not evolve to be a fully advertising supported competitor to those
2 news channels.  If so I will likely be a regular viewer.

I think that qualifies as something new (and useful).

- Tom