[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:13:35 -0400

Monty Solomon wrote:

> WGBH, the Boston PBS station, offers programming via the
> DTV spectrum (cable and OTA) which is not available via
> their VHF/UHF spectrum.

Other stations, commercial stations, also do this sort of
thing. And there's no reason I can see why Warner Brothers,
Fox, Universal, etc. can't just broadcast old movies, if
nothing else comes to mind, over a DTV subchannel. I mean,
these are all media giants, with huge warehouses full of
material they could use, if they wanted to.

Affiliates would either pass it through, as John Shutt
does with the PBS HD stream, or they can replace it with
stuff of their own. Perhaps even productions from the
local community. ANYTHING.

It's really hard for me to believe that these media giants
can't come up with interesting multicasts that DO NOT
infringe on any agreements they made with cable or DBS
companies. But of course, the DTV channel has to show up
in some kind of list that makes it appealing to
advertizers too. Not just appealing to viewers.