[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:54:59 -0700

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> I expected PBS stations by now to be doing with their DTV
> channel pretty much what they do with their analog channel.
> That is, schedule broadcasts more or less indepenently of
> other PBS stations, sometimes in sync, sometimes not. I
> would not have expected the HD demo to be going on this
> long.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but thats the complete opposite to
what I've heard from engineers at the stations I've been in (and this
would be stations across the country, not just local). Most of them have
given me the 'PBS master feed passes through us, we don't even have to
reencode it' line. It does seem that some opt for an encoder because the
PBS feed is of such a high bitrate that there isnt space for multicast
(video or IP). It seemed to me that centralcasting was where PBS was
headed.. or not?

Cheers
Kon