[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:46:23 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> As a PBS member station, I can say that many if not most
> of us are carrying the PBS HD service as a pass-through,
> with only branding and EAS being inserted, and also an
> SD simulcast of our analog service.

Naive question from a viewer: why are you passing through
this generic HD program at all?

My expectation would have been that PBS stations would
*only* rebroadcast that generic HD program (a) before
the simulcast rule took effect, to fill up their DTV
channel, or (b) after simulcast rule took effect, if they
happened to be transmitting an NTSC version of that
generic HD stream over their analog channel. In which
case, the HD stream would be meeting the simulcast rule.

I expected PBS stations by now to be doing with their DTV
channel pretty much what they do with their analog channel.
That is, schedule broadcasts more or less indepenently of
other PBS stations, sometimes in sync, sometimes not. I
would not have expected the HD demo to be going on this
long.

> The elimination of simulcast means we can, if we so choose,
> devote our entire 19.4 to a single HD service.  If it
> weren't for the simulcast rules we never would have had an
> HD/SD multicast in the first place.

I can only see elimination of the simulcast rule slowing
down the transition. Because now, broadcasters will have
a reason to want to keep the analog channel.