[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:18:32 -0400

Cliff,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The original article makes it appear that local and network programming
> normally seen on analog will NOT be seen on Digital channels.
> Isn't that what the following excerpt says?
>
> "...we [the FCC] will eliminate, for the time being, the
> requirement that broadcasters air on their digital channel the
> programming aired on their analog channel."

The FCC also said:

"As MSTV/NAB notes, simulcasting has been the general practice of
broadcasters as the transition has progressed. Thus, contrary to the
concerns of NCTA, broadcasters are not now treating their digital channel as
a separate, unique program stream."..."There is evidence in the record that
the simulcasting rule may impede the distribution of high definition
programming to broadcasters.295 We are concerned that broadcasters not be
impeded in developing, obtaining, or airing high definition and other
innovative programming that could spur consumer demand for DTV."

Well, of course they're not treating their digital channel as a separate
program stream.  There's a simulcast rule in place!

I'm not exactly sure what "evidence" there is on record that the
simulcasting rule is impeding the distribution of HD programming.  Does
anyone else?

John Shutt