[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:01:51 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> That may be fine for the AVS Forum types, and the Dr. McDonalds of the world
> who want HD HD HD, but what happens at the end of the transition?  We go
> back to an HD/SD multicast?  One thing that is a sure thing, we will NOT go
> to 100% locally produced High Def in the next 10 years.

I would suggest that by the end of the transition, ALL the
programming that was primary would be on the digital channel!!!

Obviously, that correction is correct, since there would be no
analog channel. At the end of the transition, there is no
reason to have an SD/HD multicast except running two programs.
People with non-HD TVs will just watch the same programming
as people with HDTVs. They can either letterbox or zoom
widescreen material.

Doug McDonald