[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:36:10 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Perhaps YOU should read the article again Bert. It announced
> the INTENT of Adobe to move Flash to the big screen in the
> family room. This is FAR form a done deal.

That's absurd, Craig.

I reported on the new Sony Vaio STB. Inside it's a standard PC, and
comes with Windows Vista OS. It supports Flash, and all the other
players, right now. It can be used on a "big screen" right now.

Or even more simply, I can plug my PC today into my large screen TV,
using the RGB connector if nothing else, and do the same thing the
well-executed Vaio can do. I think perhaps all of the flat panel TVs
have had RGB inputs, from day 1. So this is indeed old news, whether
you're viewing sitting up to a PC, or in the den.

> Microsoft has spent a small fortune trying to partner with the
> big media companies to own a piece of this. Those million, and
> millions were accepted eagerly by companies who knew that
> Microsoft could create enough FUD to seriously slow down the
> transition to the REAL digital media infrastructure for the next
> 50 years.

Well, I won't disagree for an instant that there's been a lot of FUD
generated over the years, from them and from others. The only problem is
the clueless head-nodders that allow FUD to slow them down. Companies
will always do what is in their perceived, typically short term,
self-interest. It is up to the decision makers to detect and reject FUD.
Which means these decision makers have to educate themselves, instead of
relying 100 percent on the information they get from viewgraph
presentations.