[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:16:10 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

That's part of the nuisance of viewing TV online. It's not at all
unusual to discover that one of your sites suddenly decided to upgrade
its software, so you have to spend time searching for and loading the
new software.

Sadly it may be even more common for some video sites to say you need a
new codec but instead download malware.

And I don't think the world is ready for a single download standard
yet.  It's the competition that keeps technology moving along even when
sometimes painful.  Too much of any standard these days encourages
patent gouging.  But nobody should switch codecs for only marginal
improvements.  There is some threshold  under which the gain/pain ratio
probably doesn't make it worthwhile.

- Tom