[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:48:48 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I'm not sure what was newsworthy about that article, to tell
>> you the truth. [ ... ]

> The point being made here is that the Internet is leading the way
> with software codecs that can evolve in a mixed hardware environment;
> as Kon pointed out, software can take advantage of various
> acceleration techniques that may be available on a hardware platform.

Uhhh, this is actually humorous. As you say, Craig: "Once again" Craig
has used an article as a springboard, to launch into a treatise on
topics wholly unrelated to the article. And worse, he makes a marketing
pitch for QuickTime, which wasn't even mentioned in the article.

In one sentence, this is what "the point being made" really is:

Quoting: "But [the denizens of Hollywood and Silicon Valley]
increasingly agree on one thing: a standard for online video called
Adobe Flash."

> And all of this comes back to the CHOICE of major media companies
> to use proprietary technologies to CONTROL the end-user experience.

Yes, I enjoy the new bells and whistles on a few occasions. However,
here's the most typical scenario for me. I sit down late in the evening
for maybe a 1 to 1 1/2 hour relaxation time with some recorded TV
program(s). If I were to rely on Internet TV, it would not be unusual to
get stuck with a significant portion of that time spent downloading and
installing, and heaven forbid debugging, some new software or other.

There is no free lunch. The flexibility comes at a price.

Back to the article (even if you didn't read it). The article was
trumpetting the inclusion of Adobe Flash in TELEVISION STBs and
integrated sets. But hey. Those who surf the web know that Flash has
been one of many players in this arena. And that if anything, the number
of players seems to be growing. *OF COURSE* Flash would be among those
to be used for Internet to TV sets. What's new?