[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:33:33 -0700

"QuickTime in with Silverlight and Flash. Both of these compression
formats could run under QuickTime if Microsoft and Adobe CHOSE to
develop plug-in codecs for QuickTime. But this does not let THEM
control the end-user experience." Craig Birkmaier

It is my understanding that Flash is a wrapper like QuickTime is.  Both can hold h.264.  I have not researched SilverLight so I cannot speak to it.  Windows media is the most consistent in its codec use but might be considered a wrapper since it does have various codec flavors.  Of course, this doesn't negate Craig's point that any media player can theoretically be able to decode a competitor's codec or wrapper.

Dan Grimes

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.