[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:45:22 -0400

At 10:33 PM -0700 4/22/09, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
"QuickTime in with Silverlight and Flash. Both of these compression
formats could run under QuickTime if Microsoft and Adobe CHOSE to
develop plug-in codecs for QuickTime. But this does not let THEM
control the end-user experience." Craig Birkmaier

It is my understanding that Flash is a wrapper like QuickTime is. Both can hold h.264. I have not researched SilverLight so I cannot speak to it. Windows media is the most consistent i n its codec use but might be considered a wrapper since it does have various codec flavors. Of course, this doesn't negate Craig's point that any media player can theoretically be able to decode a competitor's codec or wrapper.

All of these products have some form of wrapper for the files. Adobe did add h.264 and AAC support to Flash, but it is not necessary to use the Adobe wrapper. It is not clear whether YouTube still uses the Flash wrapper for h.264, or if they have moved to the industry standard MP4 file format that is based on the QuickTime wrapper.

Flash has a significant player toolbox to support audio, video and 2D animation, but it is not a toolbox like QuickTime that provides support for inter-format conversions, nor does it allow third parties to add their own plug-ins, including codecs.

Silkverlight uses a wrapper format that is part of the Silverlight "open source" project.