[opendtv] Re: Adobe in Push to Spread Web Video to TV Sets

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:39:26 -0700

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> An interesting  article, but NO mention of h.264, which is being used by
> YouTube and Apple. Then again, it's only software...
>
> If you can do Flash you can do Silerlight and h.264. via software decode.

Two differences here:

1. Silverlight can use the GPU to offload video decode / scaling
2. Flash uses nearest neighbor to resize video. It is a CPU pig.

I still don't understand what the big deal is - many vendors have been
deploying Flash on STBs in the past (on the DOM or flash, not on the
chipset).

At least you can upgrade the version on the flash/DOM...

Cheers
Kon