[opendtv] Re: Nokia sells mobile TV technology unit

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:47:03 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> In short, the article says that TV broadcast to mobile
>> phones, which was the hottest thing a few years ago, has
>> not created much demand anywhere in the world.
>>
>> I think they're talking about actual TV broadcast direct to
>> the cell phone, but perhaps this includes TV broadcasts via
>> the cell provider's own network too.
>
> I wonder why?
>
> Could it have something to do with:
>
> 1. The fact that broadcasting is losing its OTA audience
> throughout the world?
>
> 2. Consumers do not want to pay for another walled garden with
> the same crappy content they get at home?
>
> Or could it be that there are better alternatives?

I don't find it surprising at all, truth to tell, that people won't sit
and watch 30 or 60 minute programs on a tiny cell phone screen. Cell
phones are for people on the go, not for long term sessions. I've always
been skeptical of the hype surrounding video to hand-held devices, which
hype started with DVB-H, the much-hyped deployments in Italy, etc., and
perhaps that skepticism was well founded.

This is even more reason to get ATSC M/H incorporated into regular TVs
and STBs, and to make use of it as a hierarchical modulation scheme for
more standard TV applications than for cell phones. Reverse the letters.
The name should be changed to ATSC H/M. :)