[minima] Re: A New Approach

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:41:18 -0500

On 12/13/2014 06:17 AM, Joe Rocci wrote:
> Allison,
>
> I'm still confused. Are you telling me that using a 9 mhz IF for 17m
> is inherently problematic, or are you telling me the way the LO was
> generated in that particular radio caused the problem?

More detail this time.

17M  band is 18.068 to 18.168mhz.

If the IF is 9 mhz  the second harmonic is 18, third is 27mhz and so on.
If the LO is below the IF then its 9mhz harmonics  at 18 and 27mhz.
If the LO is above the IF at 27mhz, one of the if harmonics and add
54mhz in there as well.

Even if the LO moves up 100khz the result is other close in mix products
that
even with triple tuned filters are in the band or just outside.

If the LO is below the IF then its 9.1mhz harmonics  at 18.2 and 27.3mhz.
If the LO is above the IF at 27.1mhz, one of the if harmonics and add
54.2mhz in there as well.

In those cases spurtune has a rather interesting results.

With Lo in the CB it just needs to be kept inside the box.

If you can keep them down to -50dbc its ok on transmit, still spur
terrible on receive.

Add to that a radio that generated LO using a VFO at 5 to 5.5mhz  Plus a
HFO at 22mhz
to mix with that to get 27mhz just that alone needed extra treatment to
insure the LO was
clean (it was not).   That was an additional complicating factor.

While I say I won and got it to what I'd call legal compliant I did
remove it after a while
as it was seriously being forced with traps and filters and didn't work
well.  The primary
symptom was TX putting out power with zero drive that wasn't a
neutralization issue.
and a loud birdie at the second harmonic of the carrier osc crystal
(8.9985 or 9.0015).
It was a fun exercise in trying to suppress signals where shielding was
mostly
non existent.

For any minimal art radio on 9mhz IF don't do it.   FYI: the Tentec
Eagle does 9mhz
(9.015 if actually) and does do 17M but there are funny noises(birdies)
when the
RX preamp is on.  Its lots of balanced mixers and discrete per band
filters though.

IF the IF is moved to anything else the problem goes away if things are
reasonable.
At 8mhz the numbers are far cleaner and spurs much fewer. same for 10.
An IF  of
20mhz required a trap to keep that under control.

This is why the manufacturers went with VHF if for the 160-6 radios with
continuous
tune receivers years ago.  It was the "easy" solution more parts but easier.

A note and clearly not minima.  Going to 45mhz IF, cheap monolithic
15khz wide
filters are common for that with SI570 at 45mhz and up works.  Then down
convert
to any low HF IF for the gain and selectivity (9mhz filter and 36mhz LO
for example
and both being common).  Problems are more circuits (simpler filters)
and FST
swtches do not work at LO of 45mhz and up, that would be best done with
common DBM.  That would net a radio that does near DC to 30 plus 6M easily
and maybe 2M.  Not advocating for that as it was presented as a strategy
for
those seriously looking to the next level.  The Minima user interface still
works with that.

This is why I've made a lot of monoband radios.  Its fairly straightforward
to build a high performing radio when hampered by fewer compromises.
Multi band is not much harder save for switching the filters if the number
of bands is limited.   Then again purpose built radios are easier to
rationalize.  Its the general use radio that gets complicated because,
"What needs to be there?" looms larger.

Allison/KB1GMX

> Sent from my tablet

>>> design. It accepts Si570 or Si5351 drive levels.
>>> 2) An IF at 9 mhz, but changeable according to the builder's tastes.
>>> I'm considering an optional dual xtal filter for SSB/CW, using bus
>>> switches for filter switching.
>>> 3) A totally different BiDi amp architecture. This one uses a single
>>> Hybrid Cascode amplifier with a complimentary NPN-PNP output stage.
>>> It easily develops 30 dB of gain, up to +10dbm of uncompressed
>>> output power, excellent input and output match, and about 3.5db
>>> noise figure according to LTSpice. It only draws about 18 ma. It
>>> has well over 70 db of voltage-controlled gain range that can be
>>> used for TX ALC as well as Rx AGC. This single amp is turned around
>>> from the Rx direction to the Tx direction with another FST3257 bus
>>> switch. It works very nicely.