[minima] Re: A New Approach

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:30:05 -0500

On 12/12/2014 10:51 AM, Joe Rocci wrote:
> Rev 1.1 of the previously referenced paper is attached, showing Rx/Tx
> switching using a bus-switch.

Joe,

That is great work and documentation.

Add a suggestion.  For those wishing higher gains the use of two
packages and paralleling the
switches gets one clear of the substrate coupling issue.  It might even
make for a cleaner board
layout and is not cost prohibitive.  Relays can be used as well but the
coil current are often a
battery penalty.

Some history and useful info attached.

An interesting detail on the Hayward/Damm HyCas is they documented it
and presented it for
a very useful and flexible IF.   Their work characterizing it was
valuable as the circuit was forgotten
save for a few oldsters like me.  made for interesting Emails.  I'd been
using it for the front end of
my Allied/RadioShack AX190 for two decades by then and in 2001 build of
frankenradio my first
6M SSB design (bidirectional IF, 8pole filter, fet/bipolar RF, agc and
alc).   That radio is still in use
now mobile with Le Junque Box brick (uses MRF247 for 60W with 4W drive
on 6M).

They had speculated on its origins and at the time I recognized it as a
variant of the circuit published
in the early 70s National (and Siliconix) in ap-notes.   I'd used it in
differential form (two stacks coupled)
as the solution for the video amps in my first solid state O'scope.  The
solution was twofold Miller reduction
and getting past the modest voltage limits of then current FETs.   The
Miller reduction gets both more stable
gain and bandwidth and at that time saved a FET as at that time they
were not as cheap or common
in my parts supply.  I've attached the ap-note the reference circuit is
on page 7 top but there are
other useful ones.

Note the circuit  on bottom right page 8 used with a buffer into a diode
doubler circuit makes a fair
AGC detector rectifier for either RF or Audio AGC.  If the same circuit
is used again after the diodes
and RC time constant it can provide level shifting without opamps with a
few value adjustments.

Everything old is new again. ;)   That and a lot of old ap-note are
being scanned and return to the 'net
with a lot of valuable info.

Allison/KB1GMX