[minima] Re: A New Approach

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 15:00:36 -0500

On 12/10/14, 1:31 PM, Joe Rocci wrote:
Allison
Available noise performance is theoretically better, but the problem is matching the input properly to actually get it. After a lot of analysis, I decided to force the issue of FET input impedance (which is very high at this frequency) by swamping it with a 1K resistor. That ends up with a reasonable NF, but another important point is the loaded Q of the input matching network. With 50 ohms matched into 1000 ohms, the tuned network has a loaded Q if about 4.5, which is still low enough to get good loss performance when using cheap SMD inductors which have an unloaded Q of around 50. I originally did this match with a BN43-2402 transformer blasting right into the gate, but its losses look like about 1K at this frequency, so why not just put in the resistor and eliminate a pesky transformer?The input match is better than 30db with this arrangement, regardless of AGC setting, and the output match is also quite good. The collector of the HyCas upper element is broadly resonated by the 50uh to tune out the capacitance at that node. The swamping resistor sets the maximum voltage gain at about 30 db, though over 40 is available. Too much gain at this stage causes other issues in both directions. As it is, I have to throttle it back in Tx mode, otherwise the residual carrier from the BalMod comes screaming up close to the amp overload point, leaving only about 30 dB of signal to carrier (carrier suppression).
Even with a low Q inductor its better than transformer as high ratio transformers tends to have
higher than expected losses.

Generally I find JFETs match to about 2K at HF but the difference from 1k to 3k is very small
over the range.  Its more a matter of convenience and transducer gain.

Balanced mod regard less of type I find if put a pot in I can dial in 10dB better than raw component balance. Carrier to signal is one area that doing better helps especially if the radio is used at some later point into high power amp. I pay attention to that at VHF as my radios run into a BLF278 amp for over 350W with that added 22db of gain carrier is not at all good. Its not that hard to allow for optimized balance of the modulator. It doesn't hurt that at 9mhz you can get steeper skirts from the filter to help along.
Its a common problem of most filter SSB designs.

In once case I built using the simple and rather tepid 4 crystal filter that is popular but used before and after the amp stages to keep the signal to carrier down and still get a simple filtering with good skirts. The benefit was less wide band noise from the IF into
the product detector.

It also why I shoot for the largest clean output from the mod to minimize the gain
before the filter.

Allison/KB1GMX

Joe