[minima] Re: A New Approach

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:55:45 -0500

OK, I found it.

It turns out I didn't build exactly Farhan's circuit that uses just a current
balun for a phase splitter, I designed my own transformer that was actually two
transformers on one core. The one driving the switches was a voltage
transformer and driving the primary of that was a current balun. I did that
because my LTSpice analysis indicated that the current balun's phase split
starts to deteriorate when both the primary as well as the load gets unbalanced
wrt ground, as it does in this circuit. On the other hand, voltage xfmrs have
other problems due to capacitive leakages if you ground-reference the primary.
What I did here is an old method I learned when I worked in Cable TV design.
The voltage xfmr does the phase splitting and the current balun keeps the VT's
primary balanced wrt ground, resulting in better overall match and performance.
Others posted plots of Farhan's exact design if I recall though.

Anyway, the circuit and plots of the performance in both directions are
attached.

Joe