RE: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:09:57 +0000

Rant, or 'future features' :-)  It's just a matter of perspective I think.

I'm not personally constrained by any implied Lua oversight committee.  I'm
just a developer trying to crack a nut.

LuaJIT came along with FFI, and I've been happily making my code non-compliant
ever since.  LuaJIT is in FACT a new language variant.

I'd take those rants and just make them a long list of future improvements.
Those who won't/can't benefit from them will stick with Lua 5.1/2 proper.
Those who can benefit will create more awesome stuff.

I've used enough languages over the years to know that the ones that don't
progress die, and those which are dynamic continue to thrive.  I like LuaJIT,
and hope it can move ahead full steam, without too many constraints.

I also believe that Lua proper might suffer the fait of Tcl (good, but largely
irrelevant) if it can't essentially take on the features of LuaJIT.

-- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.