Re: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:49:12 -0500

[This will be another one of my emails that I'll later regret typing.
Please do not read it. Some day I'll learn.]

The political is important.

Respecting each other's talent and acknowledging that there is _no_ LuaJIT
if there wasn't someone around with the design sense to make Lua in the
first place, has a real place in this discussion. Because, if you like what
Lua brings you, consider that real genius in technical areas does not mean
equal genius in every area of design. What got ya here is probably
essential in keeping ya here, as the language evolves.

Calling 5.2 "Vista" and LuaJIT "leading" and PUC/RIO "following"... doesn't
"help your case very much," even *if* you were right, whatever right might
mean.

At the same time, dismissing the practical concerns of a developer, who has
managed to pull off a brilliant piece of work that fits nicely along side
the standard implementation's mission, isn't helpful either. It was a shame
that there wasn't consensus. One can only speculate as to why.

Here's my speculation: "Why does this person, who i know to be smart, seem
so dumb to me right now? What am I missing and how am I dumb?"

Nothing ever gets truly better until that question is adequately answered.

While two can titans can argue the merits of design choices, with one man's
"frivolous API changes for no good reason" coming up against another man's
"pruning," as a (still) community of people that would like to see more
energy behind and adoption of the language, it cannot be argued that two
incompatible versions of Lua the language could be a *good thing*. No
matter what gains in speed could be had.

Perhaps it is enough to say: I really, really, really wish that this would
get resolved and not more acrimonious. The rest of it was my venting. My
backspace and delete key must have gone missing... again.

-Andrew