RE: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:14:44 +0000

I'm really not looking for much in terms of "features".  Really just the
possible relaxation of some constraints.  For example, does getting away from
Lua51 mean that the memory configuration could be free to change?  The
constraints on the amount of memory a LuaState can have, the fact that it wants
to be in low memory, etc.  If that could be changed, I think that would be a
benefit.

I'm not sure what other improvements could be made, but I'm sure I'd welcome
them.  I feel that LuaJIT is the leading edge of Lua at this point, and I'd
rather see it evolve and let Lua trail.

-- William

=============================== - Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of
the ground.

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:52:45 -0700
Subject: Re: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?
From: demetri.spanos@xxxxxxxxx
To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Still, while it's fun to dream about new capabilities, I always conclude that
such ideas are isomorphic to "what if Lua had additional feature X" and a big
part of my affection for Lua is that it routinely say "no" to new features. If
only they'd add that one last feature <X> that I really want it would be
perfect ... ;-)

Demetri