RE: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:38:48 +0000

This is an extremely good example of how LuaJIT is leading, and Lua is
following.  LuaJIT came with the FFI, then it was made 'backward compatible'
for Lua in general.

If you're into 3D reprap printers, it's kind of how the Prusa became the de
facto standard for the reprap implementation.  It was just better, so it took
the lead.

I see LuaJIT the same way.  Much more innovation is occuring on the LuaJIT
front, and it should continue.  I'm pressing even further and saying "don't be
afraid to 'innovate' even more, throwing off some of the current constraints
and annoyances".

64-bit bitops support is another plus/example.  That might be 'back ported' as
well, and hallelujah when it is, but don't wait for it to show up in Lua first.

Fixing the memory layout problem would be a good help, as well as the new
garbage collector.  For my usage, if those required a break from ABI
compatibility, I'd be alright with that.

-- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.