any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:27:59 +0000

I've contemplated more than a few times this question.  If LuaJIT were not
constrained by ABI compatibility with Lua 5.1, how could the environment
benefit? I'll observe that LuaJIT's greatest feature, beyond JIT, is the
integrated FFI.  So, for me, I'm already using another language, as Lua 5.1/2
doesn't have this great integration.  So, for me, since I'm utilizing FFI,
there's not chance of running my code on a stock 5.1/2 deployment. Quest is;
What else can I gain benefit from if I completely didn't care about being ABI
compatible?  Would the memory model change?  Are there other features that
could be introduced?  Bugs fixed?  Etc. I'm really curious as to how LuaJIT
could evolve without this big constraint.  Anyone else thinking about this? --
William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.