RE: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:01:13 +0000

I think you might be right on the memory managment thing.  When it comes to
billions of objects, I'm probably going to be better off managing thing on my
own.
My current methodology, just like with .net, is to just be very careful about
what is allocated when/where, and don't try to thrash the GC too much.

The language evolution reminds me of something I watched a number of years ago.
There was this tiny "database" engine called mSql.  It was akin to something
like
Sqlite is today, but what, 20 years ago?  At any rate, this new thing came along
called mySql, and at first, it was compatible with msql as the API level because
msql was very popular.  Then mySql moved along, and here we are today.

LuaJIT might be reaching that inflection point.  I would suspect that the
number
of LuaJIT FFI based libraries will continue to explode, while the number of
hand coded C interfaces will stagnate, and this might be the turning point.

On top of that, Mike will continue to receive sponsors for other interesting
work,
more interesting projects will leverage LuaJIT, and that will be that.

-- William
- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.