[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:05:34 -0500

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 11/13/2005 1:55:19 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

In a message dated 11/13/2005 12:53:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've read in a number of places that the soldiers have their own internal
websites where
they post these pixs and share them with each other.
*ALL* soldiers?

A.A. "All" is the answer you never select on a multiple choice test.  After
lynchings in the South the lynchers took pictures of themselves next to their
trophies.  Sweet faced Lyndie English and her male soldier friend had a big
smiles on their faces next to that dead body.  Why did they take the pictures?
If Lyndie could do this, why are you having such a problem believing Lyndon can
do the same or worse?

The "fact" that veterans don't talk about abuse experiences is not surprising.
Cops under much milder conditions are known to beat up rioters and even
speeders (it was caught on a Fox video and played on television not so long
ago).  Try to get anything out of the blue wall of silence.   Looking at the
bright side and assuming that humans under the worst conditions will act
civilized is a great way to wind up with tortured and dead bodies.  If you
think people can be so good under war conditions, why do we need a police force
for ordinary times?

Yeah, we're all against the war.  But there's the war and then there's sapping
of resources as we make ourselves more and more insecure and al Qaeda grows
stronger and stronger in Iraq.  We're trying to win a war militarily that the
military has said cannot be won militarily.  We're bleeding to death in Iraq
the way OBL promised we would.  Yet we support this war.

Andy Amago

I think that is what we are discussing--is it all, most or is it some?

Often it is other soldiers policing their own that causes some of this to come
to light. So, how can it be *all* the soldiers (or even *most*)?

Best,
Marlena