[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:40:32 -0000

Yet there's still a difference here.

We can assume that an islamic fundamentalist - an islamist (or islamisist) - will use his or her understanding of Islam to justify or direct any action taken. This will also define an Islamic Militant, providing the militant part is meant in the sense of that person's religious standpoint. Unless it is shown otherwise, I doubt very much that Saddam's understanding of Islam was in any way fundamentalist; he was a dictator willing to use military force to maintain his position who happened to be a muslim. In this sense, his rule was secular. Whereas OBL, we can assume, justifies his actions, or those of his followers, on the basis of his understanding of Islam.

Perhaps I should add that here in Britain the word militant is, or has often been, used to denote a person who is actively involved in (political) struggle. In the 1980s, a part of the left was known as 'Militant' and were certainly extremists, though, to my knowledge, they were not seeking to use violence as the principle methodology in their struggle. Thus it might be fair to describe muslims involved in demonstrating against the Danish cartoons as militant islamics - willing to voice their opposition, willing to demonstrate, but most likely not willing to resort to violence in their struggle.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pas@xxxxxxxxx>