[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:25:24 -0400

Lawrence, you keep mentioning my name as if I cared about Fukuyama.  I think
he's a distraction and nothing more.  A long time ago in one of these
discussions it jumped off the screen at me that Fukuyama is basically a
Japanese warrior.  Plus it's like he's in the Ann Coulter school of saying
outrageous things to get noticed; in her case it's to say outrageous things to
get noticed and make money.  He's probably not that bad, just a little
disturbed.  Fukuyama thinks life is boring if there's no war and there are no
real men without war?  How is he better than a terrorist?  At least terrorists
have some sort of goal.  Fukuyama is just a barbarian, someone questioning his
own manhood and advocating barbarism to prove himself a man and to have some
fun, and people are actually taking him seriously.  Count me out.

As far as how to achieve world peace, step one is, don't wage offensive wars.
Not only will that be contributing to world peace, had we not waged an
offensive war it would have enhanced our position of power, our prestige, not
have created untold numbers of jihadists; in short, made us significantly safer
not to mention saved a lot of money.  Once the jihadist-creation machine (war)
has a monkey wrench thrown into it, start engaging and negotiating.  The two of
us are diametrically opposed.  You like Fukuyama and war.  I don't.  Are we
done?