[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 07:55:45 -0700

Phil:

Perhaps we were "off topic" over on Jack Sprat's "song of myself" but not
here:

LH: >> "[Austin Meredith] like you, if I recall correctly isn't an utter
pacifist.  There are certain situations that would cause you & he to support
a war."

PE:  >My pacifism is theologically grounded and, in this sense, absolute.
In absolute terms, there is no good use of violence.  However, the state
exists because of violence and continues to exist through the proper
exercise of violence.  Under these conditions, I understand why a state like
the U.S. might justifiably use violence.  This use of violence is not good
but it might be justifiable.  Perhaps too fine a distinction, but I
nevertheless think it an important distinction to make.  Also, this point is
off-topic but I wanted to make clear that I don't support any war.

LH: I brought this over here, Phil, because I have a question for you.  You
say you don't support any war, but both Fukuyama and Barnett describe paths
that, if they are correct, will lead to world peace.  Wars may be necessary
to keep us on these paths.  Would wars that kept us on a path that led to
world peace be supportable?  If not, why not?

Lawrence

  _____