[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:39:19 -0400

I guess if there's an end of history there has to be a beginning.  History is
only in the last 15 some years.  That explains a lot of things but it also begs
the question of how anyone can take this stuff seriously.

Of course there are challengers.  What about China with it's evolving Confucian
Capitalistic Communism?  They're predicted to be the superpower by the year
2030.  What about Brazil, even though Brazil's liberal democracy is second or
third after Iraq for hell on earth (my ranking on my personal Hell on Earth
Scale).   China is evolving. We don't know how China is going to shake out.
Also, I have personally lived through so many predictions that never panned out
that predicting the end of history through an ascendency of liberal democracy
is down there with leisure suits and hot pants, a political fashion,
meaningless.

Also, Hitler arose out of the Weimar Republic, a democracy.  He rose through
the system.  There was no coup.  He was elected and the country then went
fascist.  I also said with the exception of Japan, WWII was fought in and among
liberal democracies.  Germany's being a liberal democracy didn't stop it from
becoming fascist.