[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:48:05 -0400

I started a reply to your other post, but it can apply to this one.  This [the
focus on liberal democracy] assumes that the U.S. is the end all and be all of
everybody's attention.  It doesn't take into account (1) that countries with
nuclear weapons have never used them and tend to be more responsible after they
acquire them; (2) that the U.S. is the cause of many of its problems (in Iraq
the U.S. is the cause of ALL of its problems); and (3) it doesn't take into
account the intricacies of the Islam world.  Right now in Iraq (reference is
Galbraith) the Salafis, a branch of Sunni Muslims, have essentially
excommunicated (declared takfir) the Shiites, meaning that Shiites can be
killed and their property taken at will.  Mainstream Sunni theologians reject
that any Muslim can excommunicate another Muslim; they say only God can do
that.  In the meantime, a Sunni-Shiite civil war (which according to Galbraith
may have started as early as August 29, 2003) serves the interests of
 both wings of the insurgency (Ba'ath and al-Qaeda).  These are intricacies
that are lost in the furor over whether liberal democracy will take over the
world.  Either we have absolutely, utterly no clue what's going on in the world
(a very distinct probability), or it's so overwhelmingly complicated that we
focus on abstract ideological arguments as a way of escaping the complexity.
So we turn around and say we're the center of the world, see, that's why
they're all out to get us.  We took the small group of weirdos that al Qaeda
had been and through our obsession with this ridiculous neocon liberal
democracy ideological distraction, made al Qaeda much more powerful, entrenched
them as a movement, and sowed the seeds for who knows what.

Regarding China, they're a hybrid of state-run and capitalism.  They still
regulate free speech.   They have actual little icons (cars I think) that go
across people's computer screens reminding them that Big Brother is watching.
They also have over a billion people still living in abject poverty, and
pollution to the point where these may become socially destabilizing forces,
particularly the pollution.  There's no way to put China into a neat box
vis-a-vis liberal democracy.  Economically they are at this moment a distinct
challenge.  They're growing at something like 10% a year while we're doing
something like 3% and looking at a recession again.  Not that we're collapsing
any time real soon (I hope), but China is definitely a contender.  If we get
into a war with Iran, things could change.  Regarding what you say about
Germany, that's exactly what we did in Iraq, forced democracy on them,
historical precedent that went unheeded. You keep repeating that LB's don't war
wit
 h LB's except when they do, and when they do, boy do they war.

That's all I have time for.  See ya.