[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:54 -0500

Joerg "wanted to know whether you really backed the
large-scale atrocities committed in your name."

That's a fairly broad brush. Do you back all the statements
made in the German language? Do you back all the major
genocides perpetrated by Leftists? (Think Pol Pot.)

I support all effective action against the enemies of my
country. Key word here is "effective." (In the 1990s, I
would have given you a different answer, one endorsing
universal brotherhood, world government, pacifism, sole
reliance on cooperation ... the usual package, right off the
shelf, arranged in the usual order, without too much thought
put into it.)

Joerg: just allow me one remark ... while you mock those
"moral naifs" of your own making, and pontificate on wisdoms
like the "unchanging nature of statecraft", it may be you
who's enlisted as an immoral naif, or useful goofed, in the
"essentially amoral attempts" of those in real power.

Why "pontificate" and "goof" Joerg? Can't we just have a
discussion?  Maybe the frayed seams of your "culture and
humanity" are showing?

As for your question, yes, we can all be patsies and chumps
... you, me, and your aunt Sally.   That doesn't invalidate
my point that statecraft is an amoral realm, whether we want
it to be or not.