[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:35:51 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
Joerg: Your country's Secret Services are the most extended and most reckless terrorist networks on the planet, their exposed and proven crimes against humanity and international law alone make their foster-childs al-Qaeda and the like look like a choir of acolytes.

That is such an incredibly naive and ill-informed statement, it almost sucks all the air out of the room.
Simply let fresh air in and share your wisdom with me; for even though your phrase has a certain suffocating charm, we should better not let us be distracted from examining the truth, lest we get trapped in the "ad hominem" fallacy
I'll bet you are exceedingly learned in every revealed incident of CIA (etc.) misdeeds, but know nothing about the intelligence services of other countries and what they have done in the world.
Never mind the other terrorists' crimes. I wrote about the CIA's crimes, for which, as a citizen, voter and, in particular, as a supporter of your country's policy of violence & aggression you may feel responsible. In German your trick is called a "Retourkutsche", which denotes a very simple & transparent, yet very often found, fallacy.
To you, it's just a big innocent world brotherhood out there with a bunch of hegemonic US proto-Nazis preventing everyone from clasping hands and singing "The Ode to Joy."
I regret there's no world brotherhood, and no automated innocence out there, and, what's concerning us here in the first place, I didn't say so nor even suggest such nonesense. I did say your language resounded exactly the worst Nazi jargon, and I hoped to get an explanation or even some sign of uneasiness from you - is it really ok for you to sound like a Nazi? I did not say a thing about hegemony or proto-Nazis or clasping of hands, I made a statement about crimes, and another about your language.

Now why don't you, instead of trying to ridicule me for what I didn't say, enhance your (vivid, yet sloppy & evasive) way of discussion a bit and concentrate on what I said.
(...) Joerg: This should be a place for culture and humanity, nor for war propaganda, hybris and cruel arrogance.

How then to explain your statement at the top of this post?
"war propaganda, hybris and cruel arrogance"? Not guilty, Your Honour. I made a statrment about criminal organisations, and my intent was to show that your language - and maybe its political background - is getting more and more incompatible with culture and humanity.
Also, and perhaps more interesting for discussion, perhaps we define "culture and humanity" differently?
To me, admittedly, "culture and humanity" reads as "Aufklaerung". But even if you disagree, there are basics where there can be no differences. Vaporizing human targets? This is not a matter of definition, nor is barbarism.

It's late, I'm tired,
joerg
from Suebia

p. s.: "The Ode to Joy" is reserved for us Old Europaens. We sing it in between those fruitless diplomatic efforts, and every time we've prevented the imperial thugs from getting their unpleasant, but necessary job done.