[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:30:21 -0600

EY:
We barbarians (I'll add Nietzsche here -- someone not afraid of being angry) can only look up to your example and hope that the visitation Mike describes raises us to your level.

Was Nietzsche an angry man? I've never thought of him that way, but rather as one who analyzed to what uses anger has been put. And most the important use to which anger has been put is revaluation of man and his position in the universe in Nietzsche's view -- as I understand it.

Anger is certainly a common emotion, what matters, it seems to me, is what one does with one's anger. You can suckle it or you can transform it. As you suggest, many great works of art and many socio-political-economic improvements are the transformations of anger and indignation. Many of the great evils in the world are/have been the work of those who suckled anger and wrecked vengeance which they saw as a rightful just response. What surprises me is that in your advocacy of slaughtering the Islamists, you apparently don't see that you're the mirror image of the very attitudes you would slaughter the Islamists for. A lot of suckling going on there.

Mike Geary
Memphis

---- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>