[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:59:01 -0500

Marlena, what a shock, you support spanking.  Who would have guessed that
someone who spells G-d would be against alternatives to hitting kids,
especially since the Bible says hitting is necessary.  Bear with me a minute
while I compose myself.  Okay I'm over my shock.  Where were we?  Not a
problem.  You think hitting a kid is necessary.  Kids are animals, it's all
they understand.  We need to assert our power over them.  Hitting works.  End
of discussion.  (A couple of loose ends to follow.)

As far as Parenting Universities, are these offered BEFORE the kid is born or
after?  I'm saying parents need to know BEFORE the kid is born that they can
expect this, this, and that and how to deal with it.  AVOID a problem, don't
wait until there's a problem and then scramble to solve it, for the few who
even do try to solve it by learning something.  Some home ec classes might be
doing it to some extent.  Most are not and nowhere near enough.

As far as a cop giving advice on child rearing, that says it all.  Nothing more
to say about that.

Believe it or not, children are rational creatures.  They will do things like
go to school without a cattle prod and without a smack, however "gentle" the
smack, if parents knew what they were doing.  People are just too stupid to
imagine alternatives, coupled with the Bible endorsing hitting.  Powerful
combination.  When all else fails read the instructions, it tells you hitting
is good.  BTW, Eric Berne actually uses how to deal with refusing to go to
school as an example of what to do without a parental tantrum and without
calling the cops.  The fact is, spanking is a crossing of boundaries.  Period.
When boundaries are crossed, the kid suffers.  He learns that violating
boundaries is okay.  He learns it by experiencing it.  Your agreeing or not
doesn't change anything.  Paul doesn't believe in the unconscious.  Doesn't
mean there is no unconscious.

Marlena, if you didn't want to do something that your boss told you to do, and
your boss saw your reluctance, and walked up to you and hit you (gently mind
you) and said do it or you get more of the same, how would you feel?  Would you
not prefer that your boss said, Marlena, I see you really don't want to do
this.  Want to talk about it?  How would you feel about your boss (and about
yourself) after scenario 1 and after scenario 2?  Throw into the mix that you
really had to have that job, you couldn't go anywhere else.

Last point.  As far as the difference between a gentle swat and an extensive
beating, I think I can figure out the difference.  My point is that there needs
to be a blanket law of you keep your hands to yourself no matter what.  Then
there will be no extensive beatings.