[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:34:58 EST

I actually own a cookbook which instructs one in how to marinate a large
(dead) whole salmon in the tub....  somehow I never got around to that  recipe.

Gefilte Fish is highly over-rated -- I tried for years to like it,  to do
something anything to it to make it palatable.  It's kind of like  meat-loaf or
liver & onions.....everyone hates it but hey, it's  tradition!  You gotta
pretend to love it.  Re. guinea pigs....there's  something about them --
they're --
prickly sort of....sharp angles ......and  they're not nice .....they
bite....they're just not....pet material (but of  course I said that about mice
<sigh>).  Elena (my daughter)'s parting  shot last night as she was being
tucked in
was that she's decided she'd rather  have a Kamodo dragon than a gerbil or
hamster or rat.  I told her she  better find a well-paying job.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic
Schools  Date: 2/16/06 11:45:15 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:32 PM, Erin Holder  wrote:

> I'd go for the hamster.  They're fluffier and nicer to  hold.  Gerbils
> bite.
> Well, the one I had did (I had one  also).  But maybe it just didn't
> like me.
> I personally  found the creature annoying as hell.  I'd never get
>  another.
>

> Erin

No...go for the  gold...gefilte...fish.  In the bath until passover,
very tasty at the  feast.

I'm referring, of course, to a children's book, the title of which  I
forget, but the gist of which was that Ma kept carp in the bathtub
until they were needed to sate the appetites of reclining  persons.

Why not guinea pigs?

Different geography, same  rationale.

David Ritchie
ever helpful in