[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:35:19 -0500

I think your last sentence nails it.  It's a no brainer that if someone
hits you (as in punishment), you'll respect them, but you'll hardly love
them.  When parents do the hitting or terrorizing, what is a child supposed
to feel?  One answer is, anxiety because parents are, as Paul pointed out,
a child's lifeline.  All of that has to go under the surface or the child
will go nuts.  Plus the child thinks there's something wrong with him or
else why would they be hitting him?   Loving those who are hitting us might
be called what? Obligation?  Certainly not love.  Either that, or love
equates to duck and cover.  Love and getting beat up or terrorized just do
not mix.  I've concluded that people who favor terrorizing humans in
training deserve to be terrorized.  They like terror, let them have terror.
Hitting adults is bad.  Hitting adults in training is good.  This is so
warped.  Please note that going as far away as possible is not necessarily
geographic.  We can stay where we are and go away through anxiety,
depression, etc.  None of those feelings result in closeness to another
person.  I know absolutely nobody will agree but what else is there to
expect from these here New Middle Ages?