[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:19:26 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Judy, re: corporal punishment in school, "Here
> they tend to be suspended pending legal or
> internal disciplinary action."
>

> So I take it that you guys think it is a bad thing?

You got it :) -- I should have said more.  Strictly speaking there is no
corporal punishment in schools here now so a teacher who hit a student would
be liable for an assault charge.  ("Suspension pending..." is of course
rough justice, to put it mildly.)

> When I was doing time at Caveman Fireside High
> School, we had lots of corporal punishment. No
> cops in the school. Quiet classrooms. Teachers
> respected. No complaints from parents (granted, I
> don't know whether they were punished for
> complaining) or law suits.

When I was at Neanderthal Welsh (Religious!) Primary School (Grade School) I
got caned a few times (a sharp rap of the cane on the hand).  I have to
admit it didn't have much effect on me one way or another -- because it just
wasn't that painful.  Parents didn't complain, right: they would have if --
as in cases you'll have come across both here and there -- there was actual
injury or there were signs of excessive force (or indeed of something a bit
pervy).

(My parents never punished me by hitting me, they were very strongly opposed
to it.)

> Of course the student population at Caveman
> Fireside was fairly homogeneous, and after
> graduation, students tended to go as far away as
> possible.

So you don't really know the long term effect? :)

-- obviously there are forms of emotional punishment more vicious and more
harmful than a quick, painful but not terribly so, rap on the hand. But I do
believe it best to outlaw such punishments.

Judy Evans, Cardiff